West Jordan Real Estate
West Jordan is a suburb located in Salt Lake County with mixed economy. It occupies the southwest end of the Salt Lake Valley at an elevation of 4,330 feet (1,320 m). Named after the nearby Jordan River, the limits of the city begin on the river’s western bank and end in the eastern foothills of the Oquirrh Mountains, where Kennecott Copper Mine, the world’s largest man-made excavation is located.
West Jordan was founded by the Mormon settlers who entered the Salt Lake Valley under the leadership of their prophet, Brigham Young, around 1849 on the western banks of the Jordan River, thus its name.
Population is 113,688. Median resident age is 30.6 years, estimated per capita income is $24,726; estimated median house or condo value is $252,100, median gross rent is $1,160.
City landmarks include Gardner Village, established in 1850; South Valley Regional Airport, formerly known as “Salt Lake Airport #2.” The airport serves general aviation operations as well, and Kennecott’s Bingham Canyon Copper Mine, also known as Kennecott Copper, this site is the largest copper mine in the world, and the largest man-made excavation on earth.
Companies headquartered in West Jordan include Mountain America Credit Union, Lynco Sales & Service, SME Steel, and Cyprus Credit Union. The city has one major hospital, Jordan Valley Medical Center
West Jordan lies in the Jordan School District; although there are two small sections along the northern border lie within the Granite School District. It has 16 elementary schools (including 1 in the Granite District), 4 middle schools, and 2 high schools (West Jordan and Copper Hills). It is also the location of campuses of Salt Lake Community College and Broadview University.
Located on the east of the city limits is Interstate 15, a twelve lane freeway, providing access from the North to the South. Interstate 215, an eight-lane beltway, is located in the Northeast part of the city.
Transportation has been a major issue in city politics. The city’s population has expanded rapidly from about 4,000 in 1970 to over 100,000 in 2010, outstripping the capacity of roadways and infrastructure.